Saturday 29 November 2014

Attempt at upholstery

hey guys. the car being about 20 years old, had some issues with the dashboard upholstery being cracked. so i decided to try my hand at changing it. lucky for me my mother and my aunt both teach a class on upholstery. so i had no shortage of help and advice.

after watching a few you tube videos, and consulting with my mom and aunt. i went out to purchase the necessary materials, which was about a 2 and a half feet of leatherette, a can of contact cement. some sponge to form a base and cutting tools.

first attempt.

for my first attempt i ripped of the original layers till i got to the base. cleaned the surface so that it was smooth and free of dust. then i applied the sponge to the surface using contact cement. after that was done i applied the leatherette over the sponge to obtain these results. 
















attempt 2

after covering the sponge with the leatherette i decided that the sponge gave the leatherette a lumpy appearance so i decided the do the whole thing over using fleece leatherette, which is basically the same as leatherette but there is a small cotton layer under neat the leatherette. this provided better results, in my opinion.





 



No comments:

Post a Comment